Every principle of God’s Word that applies to our conduct toward Him and with others has an application in the home. However, God’s Word contains some specific principles for each member of the home.
Ethical principles for husbands and wives.
- Leave father and mother and become one flesh (Matthew 19:4–6; Ephesians 5:31).
- Do not commit adultery (Romans 13:9).
- Be holy and possess the other in sanctification (1 Thessalonians 4:4–8).
- Dwell with each other according to knowledge (1 Peter 3:7).
- Do not defraud each other sexually (1 Corinthians 7:5).
Ethical principles for husbands and fathers.
- Love your wife as Christ loved the church (Ephesians 5:25, 28, 33).
- Provide for your own (1 Timothy 5:8).
- Provoke not your children to wrath but nurture them (Ephesians 6:4; Colossians 3:21).
Ethical principles for wives and mothers.
- Marry, bear children, rule the household, give no occasion to the adversary (1 Timothy 5:14).
- Be in subjection to your own husband (Ephesians 5:22–24; Colossians 3:18).
- Love your husband and your children, be sober minded, chaste, work at home, be kind (Titus 2:4–5).
- Be an example of the Word by chaste behavior and modest adorning (1 Peter 3:1–6).
Ethical principles for children, brothers and sisters.
- Obey your parents (Colossians 3:20; Ephesians 6:1–3).
- Honor your parents (Ephesians 6:2; Matthew 15:1–9).
- Provide for parents when they need it (1 Timothy 5:4).
- Love your brothers and sisters (cf. Genesis 37).
Let us pray for God’s help and strive with all our might to practice in our homes the ethics of Christ. —Unknown